Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/themesky/public_html/demo/gon/wp-content/themes/gon/page.php on line 8

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/themesky/public_html/demo/gon/wp-content/themes/gon/page.php on line 11

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/themesky/public_html/demo/gon/wp-content/themes/gon/page.php on line 24

Home Forums Discuss Notebook Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades Choosing a HDD for Clevo P650SE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jane Doe
    Keymaster

Hey everybody!

I’m going to buy the Clevo P650SE shortly and I’m going for 2 drive setup SSD+HDD.

SSD will be 250-500 gb for booting games and software in M.2 format and HDD will be 1TB prefferably 7200RPM for torrents, and general storage(movies photos music etc)

What would be the best 1TB drive for this purpose. Atm I’m looking at the 7200RPM Hitachi Travelstar 7k1000 .

Would there be any better alternatives out there?

P.S the laptop can hold 2x7mm drives or 1×9.5mm drive

taking this into consideration would i be better off getting 2x WD 1TB slim 7mm 5400RPM and putting them in RAID0 instead of a single 9.5mm 7200RPM drive

The main consideration would be speed when downloading torrents as i have 1Gigabit optic fiber internet

Jane Doe
    Keymaster

The more physical storage subsystem components, the better. Just a matter of logically using them so that their combined performance is additive, not subtractive to the workflow you have intended for them.

With 2x 2.5″ 7mm drive options available – I would be tempted to put aside any M.2 options we currently have available (if heat, and sustained speeds are concerns at all vs. a 2.5″ SSD option) and go for a 2.5″ SSD and a 2.5″ HDD.

The Hitachi Travelstars are the best you can get for the most balanced HDD option for the last decade or more.

With your torrenting biased workflow, consider two 1TB SSD’s (SanDisk Extreme Pro’s or Samsung 850 Pro) with a 30% OP on the O/S drive and a 50% OP on the data/torrent drive. You’ll need to have an external HDD to save the torrents to, but this setup won’t slow you down. 🙂

Jane Doe
    Keymaster

Personally, I’d go for the capacity you need. If 1 TB is going to be sufficient, I’d go for the Hitachi. If you think you’ll need more go for 2x 1 TB’ but I wouldn’t raid them personally.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.